35 Sustainable Contributions
CNT celebrated a milestone in 2013: 35 years of solutions for sustainable cities. Here are just a few of our 35 contributions from our 35th year:
- Location Affordability: Helped the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) develop the new Location Affordability Portal, advancing awareness of the combined costs of housing and transportation.
- Location Efficiency: Collaborated with King County Metro Transit to develop the Right Size Parking Calculator, an online tool that allows decision makers to estimate the true need for parking in multi-family residential buildings and reduce overbuilding of parking in location-efficient areas.
- Urban Flooding: Published The Prevalence and Cost of Urban Flooding, a revolutionary analysis of insurance claims data from flood damage in Cook County. Press coverage locally in a front-page story in the Chicago Tribune, nationally by Atlantic Cities and others.
- Community Organizing: Hosted three Gross Gathering events throughout Chicago, and created a corresponding online forum, to give urban flooding victims the opportunity to share their stories and connect with resources that can help keep their basements and backyards dry.
- Housing Near Transit: Released The New Real Estate Mantra: Location Near Public Transportation, written by CNT and commissioned by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) and the National Association of Realtors® (NAR), which found that residential real estate sales prices for properties located near transit are healthier and more resilient than in the broader metropolitan region. Press coverage locally on WBEZ and in cities nationwide.
- Transit Leadership: Lent our voice to improve the governance of Chicago’s regional transit system through CEO Kathryn Tholin’s appointment to the Northeastern Illinois Public Transit Task Force.